Description of activity
Students are given a number of diagrams representing the modelling of a geometric pattern. They draw a diagram to represent their construction of the next structure required to continue the pattern. They then complete a table of values and determine a rule to describe the pattern, providing an explanation of how they obtained the rule.
Students have created geometric patterns and have recorded the associated number patterns using tables of values. They have described these patterns using words and then using an algebraic rule. They have used the algebraic rules obtained for number patterns to calculate the values of other terms in the patterns.
- develop understanding and fluency in mathematics through inquiry, exploring and connecting mathematical concepts, choosing and applying problem-solving skills and mathematical techniques, communication and reasoning
- develop efficient strategies for numerical calculation, recognise patterns, describe relationships and apply algebraic techniques and generalisation
Criteria for assessing learning
(These criteria would normally be communicated to students with the activity.)
Students will be assessed on their ability to:
- model geometric patterns
- complete a table of values
- describe a rule in words or algebraic symbols and explain how it was obtained
- use the rule to calculate other terms in a pattern.
Graded student work samples
|Grade A||Grade B|
|Grade C||Grade D|