Ordering fractions and decimals
Description of activity
Students order fractions, decimals and percentages on a number line and record their reasoning.
- Students are presented with a set of fractions, decimals and percentages:
75/100, 0.05, 50/100, 0.45, 20%, 90%, 65%, 1/4, 0.8.
- They order and place the numbers on an empty number line and record their reasoning for the order.
- Students select two of the numbers and list numbers between the two.
The suggested time allocation for this activity is 30 minutes.
Students have had experience ordering numbers less than one. They have had experience with fractions and decimals to two places and have modelled, compared and represented the relationship between tenths and hundredths.
Criteria for assessing learning
(These criteria would normally be communicated to students with the activity.)
Students will be assessed on their ability to:
- order given fractions, decimals and percentages on a number line
- explain their reasoning in a given mathematical situation
Graded student work samples - END STAGE
|Grade - A||Grade - B|
|Grade - D||Grade - E|