Description of activity
Students are given a ball of playdough, cookie cutters, a rolling pin and a plastic playdough knife. They are reminded that halves are two equal parts and are instructed to:
- roll out the dough
- select a cookie cutter to make a shape
- use the playdough knife to cut the shape in half.
Students reflect on the process used and whether their two pieces are equal parts.
The suggested time for this activity is 30 minutes.
Students have had practice cutting a variety of materials into equal parts and using everyday language to describe their actions.
Criteria for assessing learning
(These criteria would normally be communicated to students with the activity.)
Students will be assessed on their ability to:
- divide an object into two equal halves
- identify whether or not two parts are halves
- describe the process used.
Graded student work samples - end
|Grade - At expected standard||Grade - Below the expected standard|