communicates stories of their own family heritage and the heritage of others
demonstrates developing skills of historical inquiry and communication
Key inquiry questions:
- What is my history and how do I know?
- What stories do other people tell about the past?
- How can stories of the past be told and shared?
Historical concepts and skills
- The historical concepts and skills to be taught throughout Early Stage 1 are listed in the Overview of Teaching and Learning.
- Who the people in their family are, where they were born and raised and how they are related to each other (ACHHK001)
- How the stories of families and the past can be communicated, for example through photographs, artefacts, books, oral histories, digital media and museums (ACHHK004)
- identify people in their immediate families and show relationships between family members
- discuss where members of their families were born and locate countries of origin of students' families in the class
- use a variety of sources including photographs or a treasured object from their homes, to recount stories about their families and discuss how sources are used to answer the question 'How do we know?'
- discuss the significance of the chosen treasured object or photograph (it may be important or significant to themselves but not to others)
- pose questions about another's object or photograph
- discuss then and now; past and present
- identify and sequence stages in their lifetime
- recognise that stories of the past may differ depending on who tells the story, eg stories of their childhood told by themselves and another member of the family
- The different structures of families and family groups today, and what they have in common (ACHHK002)
- identify and record similarities and differences between families, eg the number of children in the family, family languages spoken at home, number of adults in the immediate family
- compare and contrast various family groups through photographs and stories and identify differences between past and present
- engage in and respond to stories about families in other places, including those of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander groups
- How they, their family and friends commemorate past events that are important to them (ACHHK003)
- share experiences of family, school and local events that are celebrated or observed
- identify and record a variety of holidays and special events observed in Australia and other countries, eg birthdays, anniversaries and festivals. Consider the significance of these dates