describes the diverse features and characteristics of places and environments
explains interactions and connections between people, places and environments
compares and contrasts influences on the management of places and environments
acquires, processes and communicates geographical information using geographical tools for inquiry
Key inquiry questions
- How do people and environments influence one another?
- How do people influence places and the management of spaces within them?
- How can the impact of bushfires on people and places be reduced?
- Students investigate how people change the natural environment in Australia and other places around the world. They also explore how the environment influences the human characteristics of places. Students examine ways people influence the characteristics of places, including the management of spaces. Students explore the impact bushfires have on Australian people, places and environments and propose ways people can reduce the impact of bushfires in the future.
- Factors that change environments
- investigate the ways people change the natural environment in Australia and another country, for example: (ACHGK026, ACHGK027)
- examination of how people, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, have influenced each country’s environmental characteristics eg land clearing
- Environments shape places
- investigate how the natural environment influences people and places, for example: (ACHGK028)
- discussion of how climate influences the distribution of where people live
- comparison of how landforms influence where and how people live in Australia and another country
- Humans shape places
- investigate how people influence places, for example: (ACHGK029)
- description of who organises and manages places eg local and state governments
- identification of ways people influence places and contribute to sustainability eg roads and services, building development applications, local sustainability initiatives
- examination of a local planning issue; the different views about it and a possible action in response to it
- Bushfire hazard
- investigate the impact of ONE contemporary bushfire hazard in Australia, for example: (ACHGK030)