identifies places and develops an understanding of the importance of places to people
communicates geographical information and uses geographical tools
Key inquiry questions
- What are places like?
- What makes a place special?
- How can we look after the places we live in?
- Students explore the places they live in and belong to. They develop an understanding of what makes a place special and how this may differ for different people. Students learn about the importance of looking after places. Students explore how the location of places can be represented.
- Important places
- investigate the importance of places they live in and belong to, for example: (ACHGK002, ACHGK004)
- identification of places they live in and belong to
- discussion of why places are special and how people care for them
- explanation of why people need to take care of places
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander places
- investigate the Country/Places important to Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Peoples, for example: (ACHGK003)
- identification of an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander site, Country or Place
- discussion of why the site, Country or Place is important
- Locating places
- investigate how the location of places can be represented, for example: (ACHGK001)
- location of familiar and local places on maps
- description of the location of places