engages critically with texts using personal experiences
Related Stage 4/5 outcomes: EN4-5C, EN4-6C, EN5-5C, EN5-6C
- Engage personally with texts
- draw on personal experiences to communicate points of view in relation to texts, eg 'Everyone likes that character but I don't'
- justify a point of view, drawing on personal experience, eg 'I like that character because he's just like my friend'
- draw on personal experiences to critically respond to ideas, information and perspectives in texts
- appreciate that their own experience shapes responses to texts
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- identify persuasive language used in texts, eg bias, opinion
- use persuasive language to present an opinion or point of view
- identify how different texts treat the same subject matter
- compare, discuss and justify different interpretations of texts
- compose persuasive texts in response to another text, eg exposition/discussion on a theme of a novel, debate on the hero/villain of a story, argument for/against an environmental issue
- develop critical and evaluative skills, eg identify points of difference in texts, communicate preferences for texts, recognise if texts meet the intended purpose and audience