Informative Text - Report
Description of activity
Students use an informative text about an animal to record information on a matrix worksheet. They use this worksheet to structure and write an information report. Students produce a handwritten draft, which is then redrafted and published using neat handwriting or a computer.
Students have explored the different ways that information can be presented. They have viewed documentaries and analysed written texts, evaluating the different techniques used to present information. Students have discussed the language structures and features necessary to effectively inform readers about a topic. They were then asked to apply this understanding by composing an informative text on an animal.
Criteria for assessing learning
(These criteria would normally be communicated to students with the activity.)
Students will be assessed on their ability to:
- draft, revise and publish a well-structured informative text
- use sentence structure, grammatical features and punctuation conventions appropriate for an informative text
- spell familiar and unfamiliar words
- use joined letters when writing in the NSW Foundation Style
- demonstrate basic desktop publishing skills using a computer.
Graded student work samples - Mid Stage
|Grade A||Grade B|
|Grade C||Grade D|