Informative Text - Description
Description of activity
Students draft and write a factual description based on a visual image.
- Students select a photograph, artwork or other visual image
- They make notes on the details in the image and create a draft description
- Students write a factual description
Students have been learning about interpretation of texts. As part of this unit, they have closely studied a range of texts in spoken, written and visual forms. Students have analysed visual elements in artworks and discussed how meaning is conveyed through the images. They analysed the details of the artworks using descriptive language. Students were then asked to compose a descriptive piece of writing that conveyed their interpretations of the image.
Criteria for assessing learning
(These criteria would normally be communicated to students with the activity.)
Students will be assessed on their ability to:
- plan, draft and write a factual description
- use detail to help a reader imagine what is being described
- use a range of adjectives to describe an image
- consistently make informed attempts at spelling using a multi-strategy approach.
Graded student work samples - End Stage
|Grade A||Grade B|
||Work sample 2 - Kerry|
|Grade C||Grade D|