Informative Text - Explanation
Description of activity
Students write an informative text in the form of an explanation about how and why floods occur.
Students have been studying physical phenomena such as floods in Science and Technology. During this unit students explored the different ways that information is presented. They viewed video documentaries and analysed the features of informative texts to explain a phenomenon. Students were asked to demonstrate their understanding by composing an informative text that presented an explanation of an occurrence.
Criteria for assessing learning
(These criteria would normally be communicated to students with the activity.)
Students will be assessed on their ability to:
- logically sequence information
- use appropriate language for an explanation
- explain how and why floods occur
- use grammatical features, sentence structure and punctuation appropriate for an explanation
- apply knowledge of spelling conventions and strategies.
Graded student work samples - Mid Stage
|Grade A||Grade B|
|No samples||No samples|
|Grade C||Grade D|