Persuasive Text - Discussion
Description of activity
Students write a persuasive text on a chosen topic, eg ‘Should students be given homework?’ They produce a handwritten draft, and then publish a final draft using a computer.
Students have analysed the forms and features of persuasive texts in written, visual and spoken forms. They have explored how language is a powerful tool in persuading an audience. Students have studied advertising campaigns and discussed the effective use of language to convince the audience. They were then asked to compose a persuasive text to demonstrate their understanding of the purposeful use of language.
Criteria for assessing learning
(These criteria would normally be communicated to students with the activity.)
Students will be assessed on their ability to:
- draft, revise and publish a written text
- use appropriate written language features for a persuasive text, eg statement outlining the issue, arguments for and against, conclusion
- use a range of strategies to spell familiar and unfamiliar words
- use joined letters when writing in the NSW Foundation Style
- demonstrate basic desktop publishing skills.
Graded student work samples - End Stage
|Grade A||Grade B|
|No samples||No samples|
|Grade C||Grade D|