purposefully reflects on, assesses and adapts their individual and collaborative skills with increasing independence and effectiveness
Related Life Skills outcome: ENLS-17E
- Engage personally with texts
- articulate and discuss the pleasures and difficulties, successes and challenges experienced in investigation, problem-solving and independent and collaborative work, and establish improved practices
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- purposefully reflect on and value the learning strengths and learning needs of themselves and others
- understand the learning purposes, specific requirements and targeted outcomes of tasks
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- understand and apply appropriate metalanguage to reflect on their learning experiences
- adapt knowledge of language forms and features for new learning contexts
- understand and confidently integrate their own processes of responding to and composing a wide range of different types of texts
- choose effective learning processes, resources and technologies appropriate for particular tasks and situations
- examine the ways that the processes of planning, including investigating, interviewing, selecting, and recording and organising ideas, images and information, can and should be modified according to specific purposes, texts and learning contexts
- use and assess individual and group processes to investigate, clarify, critically evaluate and present ideas
ESL scales links to the English syllabus
The levels on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome are Writing level 7, Reading and Responding level 7 and Oral Interaction level 8.
An EAL student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing and Reading and Responding strands from Beginning level 1 to level 7 and Oral Interaction strand from level 1 to level 8. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL students' current level of English on the ESL scales then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL students to achieve this English syllabus outcome the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be mainly within the Strategies ESL scales strand organiser. See ESL scales outcomes for Oral Interaction: 5.4, 6.4, 7.4, 8.4; Reading and Responding: 5.8, 6.8, 7.8; Writing: 4.12, 5.12, 6.12, 7.12.