recognises, reflects on and assesses their strengths as a learner
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- begin to understand the difference between their way of learning and the way others learn
- reflect on own learning achievements against specific criteria
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- recognise that there is a language for discussing learning experiences
- discuss how the reader or viewer can enjoy and discover a wide range of literary experiences through texts
- develop criteria for assessing their own and others' presentations
- critically reflect on the effectiveness of their own and others' writing, seeking and responding to feedback
- identify selections of own writing that they believe reflect their growth and competence as writers
- formulate questions for specific purposes, eg to clarify and reflect
- discuss and reflect on the roles and responsibilities when working as a member of a group and evaluate the benefits of working collaboratively with peers to achieve a goal
- describe how skills in speaking, listening, reading/viewing and writing/representing contribute to language development
ESL scales links to the English syllabus
The levels on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome are Writing level 6/7, Reading and Responding level 6/7 and Oral Interaction level 7/8.
An EAL student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing and Reading and Responding strands from Beginning level 1 to level 6/7 and Oral Interaction strand from level 1 to level 7/8. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL students' current level of English on the ESL scales then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL students to achieve this English syllabus outcome the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be within the Strategies ESL scales strand organiser. See ESL scales outcomes for Oral Interaction: 1.4, 2.4, 3.4, 4.4, 5.4, 6.4, 7.4; Reading and Responding: B1.4, B2.4, B3.4, 1.8, 2.8, 3.8, 4.8, 5.8, 6.8; Writing: B1.8, B2.8, B3.8, 1.12, 2.12, 3.12, 4.12, 5.12, 6.12.