draws on appropriate strategies to accurately spell familiar and unfamiliar words when composing texts
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- understand how accurate spelling supports the reader to read fluently and interpret written text with clarity
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- understand how to use banks of known words, word origins, base words, suffixes and prefixes, morphemes, spelling patterns and generalisations to learn and spell new words, for example technical words and words adopted from other languages (ACELA1513, ACELA1514, ACELA1526)
- understand that the pronunciation, spelling and meanings of words have histories and change over time (ACELA1500)
- recognise most misspelt words in their own writing and use a variety of resources for correction
- integrate a range of spelling strategies and conventions to accurately spell most words, including words of many syllables, when composing imaginative and other texts
- use morphemic, visual, syntactic, semantic and phonological strategies, eg recognition of letter patterns of words, when composing texts
- demonstrate an awareness of the limitations of spell check features in digital communication
ESL scales links to the English syllabus
The level on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome is Writing level 6/7.
An EAL student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing strand from Beginning level 1 to level 6/7. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL students' current level of English on the ESL scales then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL students to achieve this English syllabus outcome the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be within the Language structures and features and Strategies ESL scales strand organisers. See ESL scales outcomes B1.8, B2.8, B3.8, 1.12, 2.12, 3.12, 4.12, 5.12, 6.12, 7.12.