recognises and uses an increasing range of strategies to reflect on their own and others’ learning
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- recognise how own texts can be influenced by a rich text environment
- identify different ways of learning in English and consider own preferences
- develop criteria for the successful completion of tasks
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- discuss different ways we learn to read and write
- appreciate how the reader or viewer can enjoy a range of literary experiences through texts
- develop criteria for establishing personal preferences for literature (ACELT1598)
- jointly develop and use criteria for assessing their own and others' presentations
- discuss the roles and responsibilities when working as a member of a group and understand the benefits of working collaboratively with peers to achieve a goal
- describe how some skills in speaking, listening, reading/viewing, writing/representing help the development of language learners
- reflect on own reading and identify the qualities of texts that have contributed to enjoyment of the text
ESL scales links to the English syllabus
The levels on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome are Writing level 5, Reading and Responding level 5 and Oral Interaction level 6.
An EAL student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing and Reading and Responding strands from Beginning level 1 to level 5 and Oral Interaction strand from level 1 to level 6. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL students' current level of English on the ESL scales then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL students to achieve this English syllabus outcome the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be within the Strategies ESL scales strand organiser. See ESL scales outcomes for Oral Interaction: 1.4, 2.4, 3.4, 4.4, 5.4, 6.4; Reading and Responding: B1.4, B2.4, B3.4, 1.8, 2.8, 3.8, 4.8, 5.8; Writing: B1.8, B2.8, B3.8, 1.12, 2.12, 3.12, 4.12, 5.12.