uses a range of strategies, including knowledge of letter–sound correspondences and common letter patterns, to spell familiar and some unfamiliar words
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- understand how accurate spelling supports the reader to read fluently and interpret written text
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- understand how to use strategies for spelling words, including spelling rules, knowledge of morphemic word families, spelling generalisations, and letter combinations including double letters (ACELA1485, ACELA1779)
- recognise homophones and know how to use context to identify correct spelling (ACELA1780)
- understand how knowledge of word origins supports spelling
- use a variety of spelling strategies to spell high-frequency words correctly when composing imaginative and other texts
- use morphemic, visual, syntactic, semantic and phonological knowledge when attempting to spell unknown words
- discuss and use strategies for spelling difficult words
- experiment with spell check applications and develop an awareness of the limitations of their features in digital technology
- use knowledge of alphabetical order to locate information in texts, eg dictionaries, glossaries
- identify spelling errors in own writing and unknown texts and provide correct spelling
ESL scales links to the English syllabus
The level on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome is Writing level 5.
An EAL student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing strand from Beginning level 1 to level 5. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL students' current level of English on the ESL scales then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL students to achieve this English syllabus outcome the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be within the Strategies ESL scales strand organiser. See ESL scales outcomes B1.8, B2.8, B3.8, 1.12, 2.12, 3.12, 4.12, 5.12.