identifies and uses language forms and features in their own writing appropriate to a range of purposes, audiences and contexts
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- identify and analyse the purpose and audience of imaginative, informative and persuasive texts
- understand how characters, actions and events in imaginative texts can engage the reader or viewer
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- understand how a range of language features can shape readers' and viewers' understanding of subject matter
- describe how audience and purpose impact on language forms and features in imaginative, informative and persuasive texts
- examine how evaluative language can be varied to be more or less forceful (ACELA1477)
- use images in imaginative, informative and persuasive texts to enhance meaning
- understand how audience and purpose influence the choice of vocabulary
- discuss how texts, including their own, are adjusted to appeal to different audiences, how texts develop the subject matter and how they serve a wide variety of purposes
- express a point of view for a particular purpose in writing, with supporting arguments
- make constructive statements that agree/disagree with an issue
- compare and review written and visual texts for different purposes and audiences
ESL scales links to the English syllabus
The level on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome is Writing level 5.
An EAL student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing strand from Beginning level 1 to level 5. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL students' current level of English on the ESL scales then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL students to achieve this English syllabus outcome the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be within the Communication ESL scales strand organiser. See ESL scales outcomes B1.5, B2.5, B3.5, 1.9, 2.9, 3.9, 4.9, 5.9.