recognises that there are different kinds of texts when reading and viewing and shows an awareness of purpose, audience and subject matter
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- recognise a range of purposes and audiences for imaginative, informative and persuasive print and visual texts
- identify how imaginative, informative and persuasive texts can vary in purpose, structure and topic
- understand that texts can draw on readers' or viewers' knowledge of texts to make meaning and enhance enjoyment, eg comparing fairytales
- discuss possible author intent and intended audience of a range of texts
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- understand concepts about print and screen, including how different types of texts are organised using page numbering, tables of content, headings and titles, navigation buttons, bars and links (ACELA1450)
- understand how text structure contributes to the meaning of texts
- know some features of text organisation including page and screen layouts, alphabetical order, and different types of diagrams, for example timelines (ACELA1466)
- understand simple explanations in diagrammatic form, including flowcharts, hierarchies, life cycles
- select a widening range of texts for enjoyment and pleasure and discuss reasons for their choice
- respond to a range of literature and discuss purpose and audience
ESL scales links to the English syllabus
The level on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome is Reading and Responding level 3.
An EAL student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Reading and Responding strand from Beginning level 1 to level 3. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL students' current level of English on the ESL scales then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL students to achieve this English syllabus outcome the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be within the Communication and Language and cultural understanding ESL scales strand organisers. See ESL scales outcomes B1.1, B1.2, B2.1, B2.2, B3.1, B3.2, 1.5, 1.6, 2.5, 2.6, 3.5, 3.6.