demonstrates awareness of how to reflect on aspects of their own and others’ learning
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- develop a growing understanding of how a rich text environment underpins learning
- begin to recognise that there are different ways of learning in English
- demonstrate an emerging awareness of criteria to enable the successful completion of tasks
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- contribute to guided discussion about how people learn to read and write
- develop an appreciation for books, poetry and song and the importance of narrative
ESL scales links to the English syllabus
The levels on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome are Writing level 1, Reading and Responding level 1 and Oral Interaction level 4.
An EAL student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing and Reading and Responding strands from Beginning level 1 to level 1 and Oral Interaction strand from level 1 to level 4. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL students' current level of English on the ESL scales then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL students to achieve this English syllabus outcome the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be within the Strategies ESL scales strand organiser. See ESL scales outcomes for Oral Interaction: 1.4, 2.4, 3.4, 4.4; Reading and Responding: B1.4, B2.4, 1.8; Writing: B1.8, B2.8, 1.12.
National Literacy Learning Progression links to this English outcome
When working towards achieving the outcome ENe-12E the sub-elements (and levels) of Listening (LiS3–LiS4), Interacting (T2–InT4), Speaking (SpK2–SpK3) and Understanding texts (UnT3–UnT4) describe observable behaviours that can assist teachers in making evidence-based decisions about student development and future learning.
The progression sub-elements and indicators can be viewed by accessing the National Literacy Learning Progression.