composes simple texts to convey an idea or message
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- drawing on their experience of language and texts, begin to understand that writing and representing can be used to convey an idea or message
- share writing with others for enjoyment
- develop an awareness of issues relating to the responsible use of digital communication
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- know that spoken sounds and words can be written down using letters of the alphabet and how to write some high-frequency sight words and known words (ACELA1758)
- create short texts to explore, record and report ideas and events using familiar words and beginning writing knowledge (ACELY1651)
- identify and use words around the classroom and in books during writing
- compose texts using some sight words and known words
- compose texts on familiar topics using pictures and graphics to support their choice of words
- experiment with basic visual, multimodal and digital processes to represent some simple ideas expressed in texts and to convey experiences
- use opportunities to write in their home language and dialect and make basic connections with English, including Aboriginal languages and Aboriginal English
- participate in shared editing of students' own texts for meaning, spelling, capital letters and full stops (ACELY1652)
ESL scales links to the English syllabus
The level on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome is Writing level 1.
An EAL student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing strand from Beginning level 1 to level 1. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL students' current level of English on the ESL scales then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL students to achieve this English syllabus outcome the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be within the Communication and Language and cultural understanding ESL scales strand organisers. See ESL scales outcomes B1.5, B1.6, B2.5, B2.6, 1.9, 1.10.