investigates and explains the relationships between texts
Related Life Skills outcome: ENLS6-10
- Engage personally with texts
- develop an increasing understanding and appreciation of new texts by making connections with familiar texts
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- explain similarities and differences between and among texts with reference to their contexts
- investigate the relationships between text and context by undertaking close analysis of texts (ACEEN060)
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- compare the forms, features and structures of texts from different contexts to draw conclusions about their effectiveness in communicating ideas
- understand and explain the purposes of intertextuality
- analyse and evaluate text structures and language features of literary texts and make relevant thematic and intertextual connections with other texts
- assess the ways in which texts conform to or challenge generic conventions through their language features, text structures and stylistic choices
- Respond to and compose texts
- explain and assess the ways in which particular texts are influenced by other texts and various contexts
- compose imaginative texts that make thematic or stylistic connections with other texts or refer to other texts for particular purposes
The course objectives express the knowledge, skills and understandings that are demonstrated through the outcomes and content. These are applied within the context of the modules.
The levels on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome are Writing level 7, Reading and Responding level 7 and Oral Interaction level 8.
An EAL/D student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing and Reading and Responding strands from Beginning level 1 to level 7 and Oral Interaction strand from level 1 to level 8. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL/D students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL/D students' current level of English on the ESL scales then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL/D students to achieve this English syllabus outcome the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be mainly within the Communication and Language and cultural understanding ESL scales strand organisers. See ESL scales outcomes for Oral Interaction: 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, 8.1; Reading and Responding: 4.5, 4.6, 5.5, 5.6, 6.5, 6.6, 7.5, 7.6; Writing: 4.9, 4.10, 5.9, 5.10, 6.9, 6.10, 7.9, 7.10.