independently responds to and composes complex texts for understanding, interpretation, critical analysis, imaginative expression and pleasure
Related Life Skills outcomes: ENLS6-1, ENLS6-2, ENLS6-3
- Engage personally with texts
- develop deeper textual understanding that enhances enjoyment in composing and responding to a range of complex texts including those by and about Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander People(s)
- compose considered and well-crafted personal responses to texts and critically consider the responses of others
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- examine the contexts of composing and responding, for example personal, social, cultural, historical and workplace contexts, and assess their effects on meaning in and through particular texts
- explain how and why texts influence and position readers and viewers (ACEEN040)
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- analyse and assess the ways language features, text structures and stylistic choices shape points of view and influence audiences (ACEEN024)
- apply and articulate criteria used to evaluate a text or its ideas
- Respond to and compose texts
The course objectives express the knowledge, skills and understandings that are demonstrated through the outcomes and content. These are applied within the context of the modules.
The levels on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome are Writing level 7, Reading and Responding level 7 and Oral Interaction level 8.
An EAL/D student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing and Reading and Responding strands from Beginning level 1 to level 7 and Oral Interaction strand from level 1 to level 8. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL/D students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL/D students' current level of English on the ESL scales then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL/D students to achieve this English syllabus outcome the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be mainly within the Language and cultural understanding ESL scales strand organiser. See ESL scales outcomes for Oral Interaction: 5.2, 6.2, 7.2, 8.2; Reading and Responding: 4.6, 5.6, 6.6, 7.6; Writing: 4.10, 5.10, 6.10, 7.10.