understands and explains the diverse ways texts can represent personal and public worlds
Related Life Skills outcome: ENLS6-11
- Engage personally with texts
- reflect on how their personal values and perspectives are confirmed or challenged through their engagement with a variety of texts including those by and about Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander People(s)
- relate their responses to texts to aspects of human experience
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- identify and describe the social, moral and ethical positions represented in texts
- understand how contexts influence the perspectives represented in texts and how audiences respond to them
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- analyse the diverse ways in which creative, informative and persuasive texts can explore human experience, universal themes and social contexts
- analyse the impact of language and structural choices on shaping own and others’ perspectives (ACEEN028)
- Respond to and compose texts
- speculate on the possibility of different interpretations of texts when they are considered from different perspectives
- compose critical and creative texts that reflect particular values and perspectives, including their own
The course objectives express the knowledge, skills and understandings that are demonstrated through the outcomes and content. These are applied within the context of the modules.
The levels on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome are Writing level 7, Reading and Responding level 7 and Oral Interaction level 8.
An EAL/D student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing and Reading and Responding strands from Beginning level 1 to level 7 and Oral Interaction strand from level 1 to level 8. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL/D students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL/D students' current level of English on the ESL scales then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL/D students to achieve this English syllabus outcome the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be mainly within the Language and cultural understanding ESL scales strand organiser. See ESL scales outcomes for Oral Interaction: 5.2, 6.2, 7.2, 8.2; Reading and Responding: 4.6, 5.6, 6.6, 7.6; Writing: 4.10, 5.10, 6.10, 7.10.