applies knowledge, skills and understanding of language concepts and literary devices into new and different contexts
Related Life Skills outcome: ENLS6-8
- Engage personally with texts
- transfer knowledge of language and literary devices to engage with unfamiliar textual forms or texts in unfamiliar contexts
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- appreciate and explain how composers (authors, poets, playwrights, directors, designers and so on) may transform and adapt texts for different purposes, contexts and audiences, for example appropriations in popular culture
- transform and adapt texts for different purposes, contexts and audiences (ACEEN050)
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- use language features, including punctuation and syntax, for particular effects in new and different contexts
- examine and evaluate the cohesion of syntax and content in familiar and unfamiliar texts
- investigate text structures and language features related to specific genres for different purposes and audiences (ACEEN052)
- Respond to and compose texts
The course objectives express the knowledge, skills and understandings that are demonstrated through the outcomes and content. These are applied within the context of the modules.
The levels on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome are Writing level 7, Reading and Responding level 7 and Oral Interaction level 8.
An EAL/D student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing and Reading and Responding strands from Beginning level 1 to level 7 and Oral Interaction strand from level 1 to level 8. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL/D students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL/D students' current level of English on the ESL scales then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL/D students to achieve this English syllabus outcome the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be mainly within the Communication and Language and cultural understanding ESL scales strand organisers. See ESL scales outcomes for Oral Interaction: 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, 8.1; Reading and Responding: 4.5, 4.6, 5.5, 5.6, 6.5, 6.6, 7.5, 7.6; Writing: 4.9, 4.10, 5.9, 5.10, 6.9, 6.10, 7.9, 7.10.