responds to and composes increasingly complex texts for understanding, interpretation, analysis, imaginative expression and pleasure
Related Life Skills outcomes: ENLS6-1, ENLS6-2, ENLS6-3
- Engage personally with texts
- investigate, appreciate and enjoy a wide range of texts and different ways of responding
- compose personal responses to texts and consider the responses of others
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- identify and describe the contexts of composing and responding, for example personal, social, historical, cultural and workplace contexts, and consider how these contexts impact on meaning
- recognise the effects of their own contexts on their composing and responding
- analyse how texts are created in and for a variety of contexts, audiences and purposes (ACEEN001)
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- analyse the ways language features, text structures and stylistic choices represent perspective and influence audiences (ACEEN024)
- explain how various language features for example figurative, grammatical and multimodal elements create particular effects in texts and use these for specific purposes
- apply and articulate criteria used to evaluate a text or its ideas
- Respond to and compose texts
The course objectives express the knowledge, skills and understandings that are demonstrated through the outcomes and content. These are applied within the context of the modules.
The levels on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome are Writing level 7, Reading and Responding level 7 and Oral Interaction level 8.
An EAL/D student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing and Reading and Responding strands from Beginning level 1 to level 7 and Oral Interaction strand from level 1 to level 8. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL/D students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL/D students' current level of English on the ESL scales then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL/D students to achieve this English syllabus outcome the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be mainly within the Language and cultural understanding ESL scales strand organiser. See ESL scales outcomes for Oral Interaction: 5.2, 6.2, 7.2, 8.2; Reading and Responding: 4.6, 5.6, 6.6, 7.6; Writing: 4.10, 5.10, 6.10, 7.10.