analyses and evaluates cultural references and perspectives in texts and examines their effects on meaning
- Engage personally with texts
- evaluate culturally based values and perspectives in texts, for example texts dealing with prejudice, discrimination and stereotyping
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- analyse how culturally based representations of concepts are conveyed (ACEEA095)
- analyse and explain how changes in context create changes in meaning (ACEEA093)
- compare and contrast texts from different cultures and times, and discuss their purposes and effects (ACEEA061)
- understand the contemporary application of Aboriginal cultural protocols in the production of texts for the purpose of Indigenous cultural and intellectual property protection
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- use a range of culturally specific phrases, idioms, collocations and references in different contexts (ACEEA101)
- analyse how audiences are positioned in texts and how texts present different perspectives on personal, social and historical issues (ACEEA094)
- Respond to and compose texts
The course objectives express the knowledge, skills and understandings that are demonstrated through the outcomes and content. These are applied within the context of the modules.
The levels on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome are Writing level 7, Reading and Responding level 7 and Oral Interaction level 8.
An EAL/D student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing and Reading and Responding strands from Beginning level 1 to level 7 and Oral Interaction strand from level 1 to level 8. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL/D students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL/D students' current level of English on the ESL scales, then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL/D students to achieve this English syllabus outcome, the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be mainly within the Language and cultural understanding ESL scales strand organiser. See ESL scales outcomes for Oral Interaction: 5.2, 6.2, 7.2, 8.2; Reading and Responding: 4.6, 5.6, 6.6, 7.6; Writing: 4.10, 5.10, 6.10, 7.10.