applies and adapts knowledge, skills and understanding of literary devices, language concepts and mechanics into new and different contexts
- Engage personally with texts
- describe and explain a range of language forms, features and structures of texts in personal, social, historical, cultural and workplace contexts
- reflect on and analyse how language choices have influenced audience response (ACEEA066)
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- integrate ideas and information from a range of texts using direct and indirect quotation (ACEEA091)
- use language appropriate to the context, for example imaginative, persuasive and rhetorical forms and features (ACEEA099)
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- use different sentence structures and forms suited to purpose, audience and subject (ACEEA077)
- identify and use cohesive links, modality (including modality in a hypothetical past), nominalisation and discourse markers (ACEEA078)
- Respond to and compose texts
The course objectives express the knowledge, skills and understandings that are demonstrated through the outcomes and content. These are applied within the context of the modules.
The levels on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome are Writing level 7, Reading and Responding level 7 and Oral Interaction level 8.
An EAL/D student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing and Reading and Responding strands from Beginning level 1 to level 7 and Oral Interaction strand from level 1 to level 8. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL/D students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL/D students' current level of English on the ESL scales, then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes
For EAL/D students to achieve this English syllabus outcome, the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be mainly within the Communication and Language and cultural understanding ESL scales strand organisers. See ESL scales outcomes for Oral Interaction: 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, 8.1; Reading and Responding: 4.5, 4.6, 5.5, 5.6, 6.5, 6.6, 7.5, 7.6; Writing: 4.9, 4.10, 5.9, 5.10, 6.9, 6.10, 7.9, 7.10.