communicates information, ideas and opinions in a range of familiar and unfamiliar personal, social and academic contexts
- Engage personally with texts
- analyse and evaluate links between verbal and nonverbal elements of texts and interactions
- recognise the differences between spoken and written communication
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- participate in and manage collaborative discussions and presentations in a range of contexts (ACEEA082)
- use nonverbal cues to create rapport in a range of situations (ACEEA058)
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- develop, use and integrate language for making connections, questioning, affirming, challenging, speculating and generalising
- select, sustain and modulate register and tone to suit different purposes, contexts and audiences (ACEEA060)
- Respond to and compose texts
- participate in a range of rehearsed and impromptu interactions
- use pause, stress, rhythm, pitch and intonation for particular effects (ACEEA083)
The course objectives express the knowledge, skills and understandings that are demonstrated through the outcomes and content. These are applied within the context of the modules.
The level on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome is Oral Interaction level 8.
An EAL/D student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing and Reading and Responding strands from Beginning level 1 to level 7 and Oral Interaction strand from level 1 to level 8. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL/D students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL/D students' current level of English on the ESL scales, then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL/D students to achieve this English syllabus outcome, the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be mainly within the Communication ESL scales strand organiser. See ESL scales outcomes for Oral Interaction: 7.3, 7.4, 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, 8.4.