responds to, composes and evaluates a range of complex and sustained texts for understanding, interpretation, critical analysis, imaginative expression and pleasure
- Engage personally with texts
- engage with texts in a range of forms, modes and media, and explore and evaluate different ways of responding to texts
- compose personal, analytical and evaluative responses to texts and consider the responses of others
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- identify and describe the effect of those elements of a text which reflect context
- recognise and explain how and why texts influence and position audiences (ACEEN040)
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- evaluate the use and effects of language forms, features and structures used for different purposes, audiences and contexts (ACEEA096)
- use language appropriate to particular contexts, for example imaginative, persuasive and rhetorical forms and features (ACEEA099)
- Respond to and compose texts
- compose creative, informed and sustained interpretations of texts supported by textual evidence
- reflect on and evaluate personal responses to texts and those of others (ACEEA092)
The course objectives express the knowledge, skills and understandings that are demonstrated through the outcomes and content. These are applied within the context of the modules.
The levels on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome are Writing level 7, Reading and Responding level 7 and Oral Interaction level 8.
An EAL/D student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing and Reading and Responding strands from Beginning level 1 to level 7 and Oral Interaction strand from level 1 to level 8. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL/D students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL/D students' current level of English on the ESL scales, then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL/D students to achieve this English syllabus outcome, the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be mainly within the Language and cultural understanding ESL scales strand organiser. See ESL scales outcomes for Oral Interaction: 5.2, 6.2, 7.2, 8.2; Reading and Responding: 4.6, 5.6, 6.6, 7.6; Writing: 4.10, 5.10, 6.10, 7.10.