identifies, explains and reflects on cultural references and perspectives in texts and examines their effects on meaning
- Engage personally with texts
- identify culturally biased values and perspectives in texts, for example texts dealing with prejudice, discrimination and stereotyping
- interpret cultural references and implied meanings in texts (ACEEA038)
- Develop and apply contextual knowledge
- understand cultural attitudes, beliefs and values underlying issues and language in texts
- describe how different purposes and contexts influence language choices and meaning (ACEEA013)
- compare and contrast texts from different cultures and times and describe their purposes and effects
- understand the contemporary application of Aboriginal cultural protocols in the production of texts in order to protect Indigenous cultural and intellectual property
- Understand and apply knowledge of language forms and features
- understand and use common cultural references, idiomatic expressions and colloquialisms (ACEEA004)
- analyse how language reflects cultural constructions of groupings or ideas for example age, gender, race and identity (ACEEA017)
- Respond to and compose texts
The course objectives express the knowledge, skills and understandings that are demonstrated through the outcomes and content. These are applied within the context of the modules.
The levels on the ESL scales needed to achieve this English syllabus outcome are Writing level 7, Reading and Responding level 7 and Oral Interaction level 8.
An EAL/D student at this stage of schooling may be assessed at a range of levels on the ESL scales Writing and Reading and Responding strands from Beginning level 1 to level 7 and Oral Interaction strand from level 1 to level 8. Teachers plan a learning pathway for EAL/D students using the ESL scales outcomes and pointers. Teachers assess EAL/D students' current level of English on the ESL scales, then plan teaching and learning activities to scaffold learning for students working towards the achievement of English syllabus outcomes.
For EAL/D students to achieve this English syllabus outcome, the teaching focus and pathway of learning will be mainly within the Language and cultural understanding ESL scales strand organiser. See ESL scales outcomes for Oral Interaction: 5.2, 6.2, 7.2, 8.2; Reading and Responding: 4.6, 5.6, 6.6, 7.6; Writing: 4.10, 5.10, 6.10, 7.10.